Thursday, October 28, 2004

10/28/04-An ugly American rant -- a proper cup of water...

A quick ugly American rant – The people of Kazakhstan has yet to learn one great American truth – Size matters. Everything here just seems to be smaller. One of my biggest frustrations is that all the glasses are small. In the hotel, our drinking glasses were barely larger than a shot glass. Whenever I was thirsty, I felt like I was playing a drinking game. In the apartment, the same is true. I have gone to every market and Mall in this area, and I have previously pointed out that there are a lot of them, just to buy a big plastic or glass cup and there are none to be found. On one of my first days in the hotel, I went to the café for a cup of coffee and I got a very nice cup of coffee in a small tea cup. And they charged me for a second cup. (They charge you for everything here – even butter on your bread.)

Whenever we would go out to dinner, the portions were always small – very small by the standards of this large American male. I know this has gotten bad press in the U.S., but I want to stand up and scream “Super Size Me!”

So, to the President of Kazakhstan, I call out to you. If you want to raise this country to the next level in the economic food chain and rise to the level of the old U.S. of A., I tell you to remember that “Size Matters” – big cars, big houses, big meals and, most importantly, big cups. (A special thanks goes out to Gma Jan. Of all the many wonderful things she brought with her, my favorite has been the Rubbermaid sports bottle she brought me. Now, I can have a proper drink of water.

Now that I am done with my diatribe, a quick note on the kiddos. The big news today is that Jack got another tooth in today and it looks like he has two more coming in. This afternoon, he suddenly became very anti-Jack, moaning and crying. He felt like he had a fever and was rubbing his head. Gma checked and found the teeth. We gave him some Tylanol and put him down for a late afternoon nap. This pushed back his bed-time, but he was his old chipper self in the evening.

On the Gracie front, she was still Miss Clingy, at time demanding that I carry her around, though I held firm. But, on the good note, she has been eating her meals and drinking her bottles. We are so concerned with her size that we are always focusing on her eating. Gma tells us not too worry so much, but we do want her to grow. Sometimes, I want to do this journal like Bridget Jones’ Diary – Thursday, October 28, 2004 – 17 units of formula, 3 meals, 2 Naps and 1 BM. I try not to worry, but I get so excited when she eats. Well, I am happy to say that the above stats reflect her day today. It was the best day from a caloric intake since we got her. Her mom will be much happier.

Well, no pictures today. Gma is great, though very tired. She is still trying to adjust to sleeping here and we have to make sure she also gets her naps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home