Saturday, November 06, 2004

10/06/04-Some random thoughts...

Tonight, we have some random comments and updates. First, my adventure to exchange Grace’s shoes was successful. Two of the same girls were working and they laughed when I walked in. They had a smaller shoe in the same size, but they only had brown. I liked the red, but the brown are cute, too. They fit perfect. She kept them on all day.

Gma and I are still experimenting with different foods. At the last trip to the grocery, I had Lena help me find some meats. We got some meat that looked to be packaged in some seasoning. (She assured me it was not horse.) She also got me some sausage to cook.) When we got it back, we went on to WorldLingo, which is a great online translator, to see what we had purchased. The first item was beef and the second was labeled Salami. In the end of the day, we figured out we got corned beef and bologna. The beef was very good as a sandwich, especially with the Gouda cheese I previously bought. Gma fried the bologna tonight with some BBQ sauce. Yes, Pittsburghers, I came all the way to Kazakhstan to have some fried jumbo.

On my walk today, I think I found the answer to one of the questions I’ve had that some you may also be wondering – What do they do about the snow on the roads? Apparently, nothing at all. The snow is not too heavy, but they just drive on it until it melts. I noticed the side streets are very icy. I didn’t see a lot of cars (or people) slipping too much, so I guess they know what they are doing. I’ve told you a little about the drivers here, but one thing I noticed is that they really don’t go that fast. They are aggressive, but they are not moving very quickly.

We’ve realized what the first complex concept Jack is going to learn – the concept of the time-out. The kid is into everything. We’ve been working on “No”, which we think he understands. He just looks at you and smiles and then goes right back to what he was doing. Today, when Gma told him “No,” he just looked back and waved her off. Again, he always does it with his wonderful smile, but he still just says, “Forget you.” Just think – “Little Jack Horner sat in his corner…”

Before Mary Jo left, she had Jack waving bye-bye. One of her last orders to us was that she wanted Grace waving before she came home. Well, Mom, task accomplished. She was definitely waving today. In fact, I captured one picture that looked liked the kids were waving at each other. OK, they were waving and happened to be facing each other, but it was a great effect. Jack has taken it a step further and actually says “Bye-Bye” sometimes.

Well, those are my random thoughts for today. As of today, we are two weeks from going home. Check out some pictures.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "waving" picture is great! They do look like they are waving at each other.

So, what exactly are their birthdates? Just need to know for my own sake, not that I will remember them, but I'll try.

Love to you all!!!!

Katho

6:16 AM  
Blogger Bill & Mary Jo said...

The kids' birthdays are:

Grace Elizabeth December 1, 2003
Jackson William December 19, 2003

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill and Jan - I remember how hard it was to find shoes for Ranie. She had little tiny feet, but very boxy so nothing fit her. Seems like there is a ton of selection now in tiny sizes back here in the US so you should be able to find Grace all kinds of shoes.

Kathleen and I have offered to baby-proof your house, Bill. We will be calling Mary Jo this week to set up a time to come out and crawl around like babies all over your house looking for hazards! Jack will definitely be your challenge in this regard. He is just so darn cute that it must be hard to discipline him!

Grace is just blossoming! So many smiles now, it's great to see. What a difference a loving home with loving parents makes.

I'm sure you both are really ready to come home by now. Hang in there. We love reading about your all your adventures in the Kazak culture. Enjoy it while you can! Love, Jen

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home